Categorized | Korea, Travel, USA

Home Sweet Home

So I have been home for just over a week now. My flights home all arrived ahead of schedule, but it was a long day of traveling.

It all started about midnight KST with a 4.5 hour bus ride from Daegu to Incheon Airport.  I arrived around 5am and had to wait around an hour before I could check in for my 8am flight to Tokyo. Everything went well and I was off to Tokyo for my first layover. I had gotten a nap here and there on the bus, but I was really tired. The flight was short (2.5 hours) but I was unable to sleep much on the plane.  In the end that helped me out.

I arrived at Tokyo and had just over an hour layover before my flight to Chicago. I just hung out in the terminal and tried not to sleep so I would sleep on the long flight home.  I was glad I did. By the time my flight to Chicago rolled around I was really tired. Having only slept off and on for a few hours, I was needing a good sleep.  The flight was schedule to be about 12 hours, and it didn’t take me long to get some good sleep.

After settling in they came around and served a meal. I quickly ate while watching the movie Salt (which was really good). At the end of dinner I had taken 2 Tylenol PM.  I was not taking any chances with not getting any sleep.  I was quickly out and slept for a good 5 hours solid. I woke up in time for the snack they were handing out.  I was still tired but feeling much better since I had gotten some sleep.

I got a little more sleep off and on for the rest of the flight, and felt much better than I thought I would when I arrived at Chicago’s O’Hare around 8am CST. After grabbing my bags, and rechecking them for my last leg home to Nashville, I decided to get some breakfast at Chili’s.  I had a 4 hour layover in Chicago so I just hung around the terminal watching TV and calling home on Skype.

The flight from Chicago to Nashville was my last one of the day, and a short 1.5 hour flight. The lady beside me was going to Nashville to see her Chicago Blackhawks take on the Nashville Predators. She was chatty and we talked about places we wanted to travel and places we had been. She was very nice and made the trip go by very quickly.  Before I knew it we were landing in Nashville and my travels were over.

I was glad to finally be home.  I don’t like to fly. I feel if humans were meant to fly, God would give us wings. But I can get through it okay when I have to. However, being home and knowing I don’t have to fly anymore was a good feeling.

It was a long day of travel, but it was worth it. I was home and able to see my family which I hadn’t been able to do for a year. I have since seen my niece for the first time (she was born the day I started work in Korea) and my nephew who is 5. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving this week too since my whole family will be here. It should be a lot of fun.

Being home has been nice, but I thought it would be a little different. I drove for the first time in a year and it was like I never stopped. I have missed some of the foods, but I am starting to miss the food from Korea which was very delicious.

Follow Teaching Expat on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS Feed to never miss an update.

About Eric Bynum
I taught ESL for three years in South Korea and now I am looking to set out on a new journey after just finishing my teaching certification in the US. I hope to continue teaching and traveling and you can follow his journeys here.

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *